Plenty of folks love the treasure trove of movies and shows that are available on Netflix, which is why the streaming platform is widely considered the industry leader in both the size of their catalog and the quality of their content. From big-name show hosts to original movies and classic television, Netflix has changed the game in terms of streamable content.
But a lot has changed in the last few years. Many other services have popped up since Netflix set the standard for streaming sites, with new services like Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, and Amazon Prime cutting into the total domination that Netflix used to have over the industry. These new streaming platforms boast comparable catalogs and each has specific shows and movies that are exclusively shown on their service.
Are you moving over to Disney+ because you are obsessed with the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Or are you getting everything you need from Amazon Prime and find yourself no longer using Netflix? Trying to scale back the monthly payments that really add up with all those different streaming sites?
Here is a step-by-step guide to canceling your Netflix subscription. It is usually quite straightforward and easy to cancel your Netflix subscription, but there are a few things to keep in mind, especially if you are signed up via a third party.
Cancel Your Netflix Subscription- The Easy Way
The quickest and simplest way to cancel your Netflix subscription is to go through the Netflix website on your computer. This will work in most cases, though it might require more steps if you have set up your Netflix subscription through a different platform.
Here is how to do it:
- Go to netflix.com/cancelplan
- Log in with the email and password that is associated with your account
- Select ‘Finish Cancellation’
If you cancel your subscription this way, you will finish out the current billing period and Netflix will simply not automatically bill for the following month. This means you may still temporarily have access to Netflix if you cancel well before the end of your billing period. There are a few other factors to keep in mind:
- You can check a box on this page that will keep informed about Netflix via email even after you cancel your subscription. When new movies and shows are added, or any deals and promotions are made available, you will be in the know.
- You are able to downgrade your subscription plan from this page as well. There are numerous payment options and plans for Netflix, so if you want to pay less money per month on streaming costs but still think Netflix is worth it, think about transitioning to a plan with a smaller monthly payment. Here are the options available:
|# of Screens for Viewing||1||2||4|
|Unlimited TV and Movies||yes||yes||yes|
|Watch on Laptop, Phone, Tablet, TV||yes||yes||yes|
|Ultra HD Available||no||no||yes|
- Netflix will retain all of your information, including your various profiles, watchlists, preferences, and login info for ten months after you cancel your plan. If you find that you miss all the content that Netflix has to offer, this makes it easy to restart your account at a later time.
Other Ways To Cancel Your Netflix Subscription
Since Netflix is such a common and widely used app, there are a number of different ways to set up and manage your account. Whether it is from your TV or via your Apple or Android device, there will be some variance with how you will go about canceling your Netflix subscription.
Obviously, the first step here is to remember which site or service you set up your Netflix account through. It is common for cable or cell phone providers to offer packages with Netflix included, and you may have to cancel your subscription through this specific provider.
Otherwise, these will be the most common ways to cancel your Netflix subscription:
How To Cancel Netflix Subscription on iOS
- If you are using an Apple product like the iPhone or iPad to watch Netflix, then begin by clicking on the Netflix app or you can access the site on Safari or Chrome.
- In the top left corner, there is an icon next to the Netflix logo that is three stacked horizontal lines.
- Click on this icon, which will show a number of options including ‘Account’ which is where you want to be.
- In the ‘Account’ section, scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find an option to ‘Cancel Membership.’
- Once you choose this option, it will ask you to confirm your cancellation.
- If you signed up for Netflix through iTunes, you can access all of your subscriptions from the ‘Settings’ tab on your Apple ID profile. Click on your icon and you will see a tab for ‘Subscriptions.’ Here you will be able to manage your account and cancel your subscription.
How To Cancel Netflix Subscription on Android
- Open the Netflix app on your Android device.
- Click on the icon with the three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner.
- Go through the ‘Account’ tab and proceed through the cancellation process that is highlighted above.
- If you use Netflix on your Android through the Google Play app, the process is very similar. Simply go to the ‘Subscriptions’ tab via the three-line icon, find Netflix, and proceed to cancel your subscription from there.
How To Cancel Netflix Subscription on T-Mobile
- T-Mobile has a promotion called Netflix on Us which gives you access to the entire Netflix catalog when you sign up for certain cellular plans.
- To cancel your Netflix subscription through T-Mobile you must remove it as the method of payment on your Netflix account.
- You can remove Netflix as the payment method on your account by going to the T-Mobile website or through the My T-Mobile app.
- Select ‘Manage Add-Ons’ and then scroll down to ‘Services.’ Here you can unsubscribe from Netflix.
How to Cancel Netflix Subscription on Amazon
- It is possible that your Netflix account is tied to your Amazon profile or Amazon Prime account. If this is the case then go to amazon.com and log in with your email and password.
- In the top-right corner, look for a section called ‘Accounts & Lists.’ Here you will see many options pop up.
- Click on the option for ‘Memberships & Subscriptions’ and find the tab for ‘Channel Subscriptions.’
- Find Netflix on this page and then click the option for ‘Cancel Channel.’
As you can see, there are many ways to cancel your Netflix subscription. The easiest way is to go through the Netflix website on your web browser, but you may have to cancel it a different way depending on how you initially signed up.
If you change your mind and want to opt back into all the great shows and movies that are available on Netflix, they make it really easy to sign back up at a later date. But in the meantime, enjoy the great options that exist with other streaming sites as well as the extra cash that will find its way into your wallet each month.